Friday, April 14, 2017

Botanising from SC to WV in One Day

Catesby Trillium (Trillium catesbaei)



During a family vacation in the Carolinas, I had the opportunity to visit the

Anne Springs Close Greenway, a private Nature Preserve in Fort Mill, SC.
 I was there early Friday morning and when we arrived home Friday evening, I headed to the Brush Creek Preserve near my home in WV.  It's interesting to see the variety and similarities that 2400 feet elavation difference and 200 miles separation makes. At Anne Springs, I saw Catesby Trillium (Trillium catesbaei) along with several others. 






The whole time I was in SC, I was worried I would miss peak bloom at Brush Creek. But, I hit it perfect this evening. Below are WV pctures
Bloodroot

Large-Flowered Trillium (Trillium grandiflorum) and
Long Spurred Violet

Purple Trillium or Erect Trillium

A Patch of the thousands of Large Flowered Trillium 

Large Flowered Trillium 
Mitrewort
Mitrewort
Wild Ginger


Foam Flower





Trout Lilly


Gaywings or Fringed Polygala
Gaywings or Fringed Polygala



Creeping Phlox

Pussytoes and Creeping Phlox on a shale barren

Female Pussytoes
Male Pussytoes 



1 comment:

  1. Sometimes the similarities between places is amazing. Great pictures, thanks for sharing & Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. Choose anonymous if you do not have one of the ID's listed.
Thanks,
Charles