Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Smoky Mountains

Last Year, I spent a few days in Mid April in the Smoky Mountains of Tennessee. This year, I found myself back again to celebrate my 30th wedding anniversary. As usual, the days were for the tourist trap, but early mornings were mine for hikes. I went back to Porters Creek and Cove Hardwood trails, both reputed to be the best wildflower hikes in the Smokies. I enjoyed both hike, and love the Smoky Mountains, but as I have expanded my horizons in West Virginia, I can now find almost every wildflower here at home, the exceptions being White Fringed Phacelia and Yellow Trillium. I can remember every year hoping to see Showy Orchis along the Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail and now, I hav found four locations here at home, two in the past two weeks, just by spending more time walking and exploring. A couple highlights were some White Fringed Phacelia that was light blue and a new wildflower.Below are many pictures from the trip.


White Fringed Phacelia (blue variation)





Streptopus lanceolatus (Rose Twisted Stalk)































No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. Choose anonymous if you do not have one of the ID's listed.
Thanks,
Charles