Thursday, April 30, 2015

Last Day of April

I spent an hour or so making a one mile loop around the farm and surrounding property and saw some great flowers. There are several springs that run out of a hillside in a very deep and steep gullies. One in particular has the only Bloodroot that I have seen on any of the property near my home. I found the leaves last year and hoped to catch them in bloom this year but missed. But today, I found one just starting to loose its petals. It was 44 degrees and rainy, still cool.














#338 - Swamp Saxifrage




But the most interesting find was Swamp Saxifrage, a flower I have only seen in the Smoky Mountains. I found these in only one spring fed, wet gully in the area and they were not blooming a week ago. Today, one plant was in bloom, even though most of the green plants in the picture above is it. It also makes the 5th new wildflower found for this blog in April of this year.

          Now, bring on May.




Wild Blueberry

Serviceberry 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. Choose anonymous if you do not have one of the ID's listed.
Thanks,
Charles