Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Rambling Around

One of my favorite ways to find wildflowers when I just have a few spare minutes is to drive along old dirt country roads. Jumping out occasionally to look around. Yesterday I drove to two places near my home and found the following:


The first was Early Meadow Rue. This first plant has male flowers, the second one may be female, but I didn't know at the time that they had all flowers of one sex on a plant, so I did not pay enough attention 
#336 - Early Meadow Rue




This swarm of Putty Root Orchid were near the Rue


And I found a new location for  Gaywings or Fringed Polygala.
As I was reading up on this plant. I learned that the fringe is a landing platform that is spring loaded and when a pollinator lands on it, it bends down on a hinge and a load of pollen springs up and attaches to the insect. 




#337 - Yellow Rocket
Non-native related to the mustards

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. Choose anonymous if you do not have one of the ID's listed.
Thanks,
Charles