Thursday, June 12, 2014

June Wildflowers

#322 - Carrion Flower
Carrion Flower
 I am  occasionally finding wildflowers that I missed last year. This one is the Carrion Flower and reportedly smells like rotting flesh in order to attract flies. I can also report that it smells pretty rank. From reading here, I learn that this plant is a female and that male plants have a flower cluster which is much smaller. This plant is in the same family as the Greenbrier



#323 - Cow Wheat 
Cow Wheat is one that is new to me and was a challenge to identify. It grows along a path behind my home in pretty deep woods. It is inconspicuous and doesn't last long. Cow Wheat usually has very narrow, lance-shaped leaves, but this one had much wider leaves. Finally I found this reference It seems that there are three varieties with this one being Melampyrum lineare Desr. var latifolium, having broad leaves. 
 Cow Wheat 



Bowman's Root


And some old favorites

Southern Mountain Cranberry
Partridge Berry 

False Solomon's Seal 


Flame Azalea

Flame Azalea

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. Choose anonymous if you do not have one of the ID's listed.
Thanks,
Charles