Sunday, June 1, 2014

June Mints and More

Spent the day at our church picnic in Camp Creek State Park. I found one new wildflower, the Showy Skullcap. Last year I dragged my Nikon D3000 everywhere I went as I photographed every possible wildflower in one year. I was able to find 308 and this year and for the foreseeable future I will continue to add more. But, I usually just have the iPhone, which is tough trying to get close ups.
I also saw two flowers thatI knew about, but could not find last year.
Meehans Mint
Showy Skullcap
#319 - Showy Skullcap is another
wildflower from the mint family



#320 - White clintonia

I still remember seeing this for the first time early one spring and thinking that I had found a huge population of some type of Orchid. I find this at my daughters home, but could not find a bloom last year.

 The Indian Cucumber is an interesting plant. You see a lot of plants, but a blooming one is sometimes hard to spot. It is another member of the Lily family and has the name Medeola virginiana. 
Small Whorled Pogonia is named Isotria medeoloides and the medeoloides refers to its similarity  in appearance to Medeola virginiana , the Indian Cucumber, 
'virginiana' means "of Virginia" and is a common name for many of my favorite plants, 'virginica' is also used, including for the Iris below.
#321 - Indian Cucumber






Virginia Iris - Iris virginica L.  




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. Choose anonymous if you do not have one of the ID's listed.
Thanks,
Charles