Sunday, June 22, 2014

Loving Summer

I havn't been able to get out much in the last two weeks and missed going this year to the Showy Lady Slipper population that I love so much. So I had a couple hours on the first day of Summer to go to one of my favorite wildflower areas. I had no real plan or agenda, but did hope to find some Putty Root Orchids in bloom that I spotted early in the Spring. While scanning the area where I saw them, I unexpectedly found an Orchid that I have never seen anywhere. The Large Twayblade, also known as Purple Twayblade or Lily-leaved Twayblade (Liparis liliifolia). It is not an uncommon plant, but sites for it in WV have been described as sparse and local. I was so thrilled to see this plant that I went back the next day. I am going to post many pictures here of this fascinating plant. Here is a great description of Lily-leaved Twayblade  (http://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/savanna/plants/pp_twayblade.htm)
#324 -  Lily-leaved Twayblade



































While hiking in and around Brushcreek Nature Preserve, I ran across the following plants and sights.
 New Jersey Tea is new for me and a great looking plant. I wish I had known it was a tea substitute, I would have brought some home and tried it. It was used in colonial America and leaves are gathered while the plant is in bloom 


New Jersey Tea
Rhododendron, West Virginia State Flower



Striped Wintergreen
Balanced Rock with Tree





Pipevine Swallowtail Caterpillar 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. Choose anonymous if you do not have one of the ID's listed.
Thanks,
Charles