Monday, July 17, 2017

More Summer Orchids

353 - Club Spur Orchid
 A week ago, I was at a site for Bentleys Coralroot, One of the rarest Orchids in America. See that post here.
While there, I found what I suspected was Club Spur Orchid Platanthera clavellataalso know as Small Green Wood Orchid and  Small Woodland Orchid. Even though the site is 70 or so miles from home, I knew I had to be there to see it in bloom. So, today was the day. The first two I saw were still not in bloom and it required a considerable hike to find some opened up. But the bonus was I found Spotted Coral Root, another new wildflower for this blog. 
(See Below)  

Two new Orchids in one day for this blog
Club Spur Orchid
Club Spur Orchid


Club Spur Orchid


 I had seen Spotted Coral Root at this site several years ago but could not find them again for this blog, where I am trying to find and photograph as many of West Virginia's wildflowers as possible.
354 - Spotted Coralroot



Rattlesnake Orchid
This site is one of the most prolific orchid sites that I know of. Many Rattlesnake Orchids were in bloom. I saw old Pink Lady Slippers, Showy Orchis and there has to be others. I found quite a few Yellow Fringed Orchids just beginning to bloom. 


Yellow Fringed Orchid 
just beginning to bloom.




Last Tuesday, I was at a site on New River looking along a forest service road for what I could find.
The first is a new one, Leaf-Cup -Polymnia canadensis 
355 - Leaf Cup



























Another new flower found that day is Winged Monkeyflower - Mimulus alatus 
It is similar in appearance to Mimulus ringens (Allegheny Monkeyflower) and it occurs in the same habitats. Winged Monkeyflower differs in this manner 1) Its flowers are often pink rather than blue-violet, 2) Its leaves have narrowly winged petioles about ½" long or more, while Mimulus ringens has sessile leaves, and 3) The pedicels of its flowers vary in length from nearly zero to ½" in length, while Mimulus ringens has pedicels that are greater than ½" in length.

356 - Winged Monkeyflower
Winged Monkeyflower
\


Bee Balm or Bergomont
Dolls Eyes fruit Actaea pachypoda

Ragged Fringed Orchid 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. Choose anonymous if you do not have one of the ID's listed.
Thanks,
Charles