Sunday, July 27, 2014

State Parks, Orchids and Wildflowers

After spending most of a week in Florida, I spent several days in Charleston, West Virginia at a conference. As usual, when the conference ended for the day, I was out the door headed somewhere to hike.This time it was at two parks, mostly within Charlestons urban sprawl. At Little Creek Park, a mostly sports complex, I hiked into the Trace Fork Canyon.

Hoary Mountain Mint



At one point, I ran into Hoary Mountain Mint, an interesting wildflower that I had only previously seen in the Smokey Mountains . I had not really thought about it being in West Virginia, but now realize that it has a pretty wide range.
#328 - Hoary Mountain Mint

I also saw a large population of Rose Pink
Rose Pink

 The other park that I visited was the Kanawha State Forest.





 There I stumbled on a small group of  Crane Fly Orchid in bloom, or rather partially in bloom. These two plants were side by side, with one in full bloom and the other plant had no open flowers. 



#329 - American Bell Flower

























I also found another new
West Virginia wildflower for me.
The American Bell Flower




























Below are other flowers seen over the two days

#330 -  Whorled Milkwort

#331 - Flowering Spurge 







This Spurge has green flowers surrounded by white petal-like bracts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. Choose anonymous if you do not have one of the ID's listed.
Thanks,
Charles