Saturday, April 12, 2014

1st Trip to Brush Creek

A Great Spring Day
I started the day on a hike with my dad to Brush Creek Nature Preserve . It is one of my favorite Spring wildflower areas. Today was the day I thought the flowers would be nearing peak bloom because of data I keep from past years. But there was almost nothing. I found a few Trillium peaking above the leaf litter and finally a couple of Hepatica on a cliff. I had to do the Paparazzi shot; camera over the head and clicking off the shots trying to get it.
































I also found a really pretty sedge
 hanging on another cliff that cascaded down. 
























Next weekend should be the start of the best two weeks in Brush Creek.
I spent the rest of the day with grandkids and a T-Ball game then home to till and plant part of the salad garden that I keep near the house. Onions, lettuce and sugar peas are all for now. Then I left the house and went on a 1.4 mile hike around the farm and neighbor hood forest looking for Morels, Wildflowers or Turkey sign. But found no morels, no turkeys and only a couple of flowers. One stood out thought; it was the winter leaf of Puttyroot, an Orchid that I had not found in close proximity to home. So, a great Spring day with many more to come, despite the low 20 degree temperatures predicted later this week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. Choose anonymous if you do not have one of the ID's listed.
Thanks,
Charles