Saturday, June 29, 2013

Wildflowers on the iPad Camera

I was at Grandview Park last week and found some time to hike back into the area where I have found many Spring ephemerals. I had no camera but did have a 3rd generation iPad and decided to give it a try. The woods were so dense, I walked around for close to an hour before I spotted Striped Wintergreen and a couple of mushrooms. An ephemeral is about the only plant that stands a chance in a place like that.
        I was somewhat impressed with the iPad photo, so I decided to use it for all of the photos in this post. Most were from arounf my home.
#152- Striped Wintergreen


#153- Poke Milkweed

Poke Milkweed

#154- Alumroot
Close Up of Alumroot Flower

 The Wild Hydrangea below grows in front of my house on the edge of the road. I have trimmed around it for years and try to protect it but the Department of Highways comes through once a year to with a brush trimmer and one year a right of way crew sprayed herbicide on everything along the road but spared this at my request. Even so, it was the only thing that died back. But, its a survivor.
#155- Wild Hydrangea

Chinquapin is a native plant that produces small Chestnut like nuts .The small black wasp had gathered a lot of pollen on its rear legs and was working these blooms thoroughly

#156- Chinkapin or Allegheny Chinquapin
 I look at this Orange Daylilly as a marker plant. Anytime I am in the woods and see this, I know a home site or cemetery is close by. This is an old fashioned pass along plant that was introduced from Asia. 
#157- Orange Daylilly

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. Choose anonymous if you do not have one of the ID's listed.
Thanks,
Charles