Saturday, June 15, 2013

Spring Fades, Summer Advances


The next two shrubs, to me, indicate the last of the Spring flowers. After those, I have several of the early summer flowers. We have just had our first consecutive days with 80+ degree weather, then last night back into the 40's and only 70 today. But, Summer is here and a new flush of wildflowers.
        I first found this flower while I was trimming brush and briers from around a nice little Flame Azalea growing along the unkempt border between my yard and the road. I was on the ground trimming back plants from under it and noticed these small flowers that looked like cranberries that I see in Cranberry Glades. After some research, I found that it is Southern Mountain Cranberry, and is related to the bog type Cranberries. 

#133-Southern Mountain Cranberry





Southern Mountain Cranberry

#134- Mountain Laurel 







#135- Blue Eyed Grass 
Blue Eyed Grass is an Iris relative and the seed capsules that you can see in this picture resemble those of Iris. This flower is so abundant in the field behind my home that I can see a blue tinge in patches from over a hundred yards away. 




#136- Yarrow
#

#137- Crown Vetch (non-native)










#139- Racemed Milkwort 
Racemed Milkwort is a new wildflower for me. I was at a local water reservoir with my three year old grandson fishing. I saw the small purple flowers near the sandy shore and snapped a few quick pictures to identify later. I hope to get back in a couple of days to see the flowers bloomed out a little more, they should have a fringe similar toFringed Polygala, a relative. This plant produces its seed from small underground flowers that are cleistogamous, or non-opening and self fertile.






I am fortunate to have many Flame Azalea on my property, and it blooms at different times. The last one blooms at least two-three weeks after the first. 








No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. Choose anonymous if you do not have one of the ID's listed.
Thanks,
Charles