Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Showy Lady's Slippers and Others

 Visited a site for the West Virginia Rare Showy Lady's Slipper on a rainy day. See the story and more Cyp pictures here . Below are additional photos and other wildflowers seen on that day

A Triple- This picture shows the various stages of bloom, all on one plant, that I saw throughout the site. 




I saw several that seemed to begin opening upside down and then rotate upright as it progressed



This wildflower was scattered throughout the site, Devils Bit is in the Lily family and is endangered or rare in several Eastern states.

#125- Devil's Bit or Fairy Wand 


I was stumbling through the forest headed for the truck in somewhat of a hurry with thunder rolling across the mountains when I caught a glimpse of white at the edge of a small stream. I took a couple of hurried photos and was zooming to make sure I had one in focus when I noticed the lace like petals of this plant. Another first for me; Two Leaf Mitrewort. 
#126- Mitrewort

 Mitrewort



#127- White Bergamot


#128- Black Snakeroot

Black Snakeroot

#129- Goats Beard


#130- Partridge Berry 

And finally; a couple of introduced plants from the roadsides going to and from the site. One, Blueweed, is reported to have been introduced to America in the 1600's; that's before my family came over.

#131- Blueweed 

#132- Moth Mullein




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. Choose anonymous if you do not have one of the ID's listed.
Thanks,
Charles