Sunday, February 10, 2013

Winter Hike on a Warm Day

Out for a three mile ramble today, limbering up while waiting for spring. I went to Camp Creek State Forest where, in a few weeks, the best display that I know of anywhere of Trout Lilly's will be blooming, plus dozens of others. I am hoping to find a white variation of the Trout Lilly there this spring.  What was I looking for today? Nothing really, but I was looking the whole time. I did not see one bird the whole afternoon even though it was sunny and in the 50's. I find myself watching for birds more nowadays, probably because I have read several birding books lately. I looked for the winter leaves of wildflowers and photographed a couple of waterfalls. 
        Camp Creek has a great trail system that uses many forest roads as well. I passed through marshy areas created by beaver ponds, damp hillsides that will be covered with Hepatica, Wild Ginger and Trout Lilly's, dry forest that will have Yellow Lady Slippers and piney flats that have Trailing Arbutus and Painted Trillium. All-in-all it is a great place to hike and the best part; 10 miles from home. 
Find information and park maps here: Camp Creek State Park and Forest.  








No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. Choose anonymous if you do not have one of the ID's listed.
Thanks,
Charles