Monday, February 25, 2013

Lithics and Flowers

Because we are expecting another ice storm, I wanted to get out this evening for a little bit. I have been interested in Native American artifacts for many years and decided to walk to the garden, where for many years, I have found many arrowheads and related debitage (the waste material produced during lithic reduction and the production of chipped stone tools). I have worked with a local Archaeologist to list the site as an official West Virginia Archaeological Site. It contains Late, Middle and  Early Archaic (8000 B.C. to 1000 B.C.) points and tools. I'm no expert, but I do enjoy looking for, collecting and documenting these artifacts, especially in my own back yard. 
         Today, I was fortunate to find a very nice Savannah River point. 
Savannah River Point plus Debitage of Various Material
Points Found in the Garden Over the Years


 While washing the point off in a rain barrel, I noticed tiny white flowers around the barrel. Another flower for the Wildflower Big Year.          #2- Hairy Bittercress 


Hairy Bittercress 


It is not native but is now ubiquitous to most of the USA. Hairy Bittercress is usually considered an invasive lawn weed, is commonly eaten and has an interesting method of seed dispersal. When the seedpods are ripe the seeds are dispersed explosively for up to 1 m if the plants are shaken by the wind or by weeding operations. The seeds become sticky when wet and can be spread on tools and clothing.  It likes wet areas which may explain why they were blooming this early and only around the barrel. I set out this year to photograph and list every wild flower that I can. In the process, I will learn much about flowers that I usually ignore.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. Choose anonymous if you do not have one of the ID's listed.
Thanks,
Charles