Thursday, May 2, 2013

First Orchid of the Season

Grandview has produced one of my favorite wildflowers and the first orchid of the year. Showy Orchis.
#51- Showy Orchis 
It took quite awhile for me to find these in West Virginia even though they are wide spread. I remember making many trips along the Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail in Gatlinburg, TN during family vacations. We spend time there about every year and I  hit the road every morning at daylight and get a couple hours of hiking in then back to the motel to take the family to breakfast and start the daily tourist things. Now days the grand kids are at the perfect age to tag along and they enjoy the mountains as much as I do.
           I also found a few more wildflowers at Grandview today.
#52- Squaw Root (If Audubon calls it a flower, so do I)

#53 Fire Pink

#54- Appalachian barren strawberry



#55 -Carolina Silverbell  (Mountain Silverbell) some say they're the same, others do not

#56- Sweet Cicely



The violet below is one that I find several of every year  in this one area of 
Grandview. It is in the same area as Canada Violets, so it may be a color variation. 


1 comment:

  1. We're visiting the state for the first time- just booked a room at one of the best West Virginia resorts. I'm a huge nature nerd, I can't wait to check out these wildflowers! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. Choose anonymous if you do not have one of the ID's listed.
Thanks,
Charles