Friday, July 29, 2016

Painted

In the winter, I find myself paying more attention to birds, but so far have resisted the full fledged birding bug. In Florida a couple years ago, during my normal pre-trip internet search of outdoor possibilities, I became aware of a bird called Painted Bunting. I tried a time or two to see it at feeders in their state parks, but did not connect. So, when I was looking at the areas near Myrtle Beach State Park, I saw that Huntington Beach State Park has a nature center with feeders that are regularly visited by Painted Buntings. But, when I arrived at Myrtle Beach and checked their web site for opening time, I saw that the nature center had burned to the ground the prior week. I went anyways and arrived before 7 am. There was nothing  left of the nature center or its feeders. So, I roamed around checking the area but no luck. I have the Audubon app on my phone so I checked it and found a recording of its song. After listening several times and reading they like to sing from treetops, I started hearing a couple in the distance. I spent time traipsing through brush, briars and spiderwebs hearing them and finally perched myself in a spot where I had heard one several times and was rewarded by one in a treetop quite a distance away. My 200 mm lens captured it nicely and it did fly once to within 75 feet, but I could not get the long lens to focus that close more than one or two quick shots. Here are several pictures of him and other Grand Strand sights. A bird this nice could push me over the edge, Someone may spot me soon slathered in sunscreen and bugspray, wearing a funny hat and carrying binoculars that cost more than several of my first cars, Just like the guys I saw today at Huntington Beach State Park.









Just Caught A Shrimp



Looks Mad?

MAybe this is why? It says, "No Shellfish Harvesting"




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. Choose anonymous if you do not have one of the ID's listed.
Thanks,
Charles