Thursday, January 15, 2015

Running?

I hike. Period. 
Running is for 20 something's who want to stay buff and live forever.
So, why do I suddenly find myself running? Several colleagues from my school decided to run in the KOMEN WEST VIRGINIA RACE FOR THE CURE®.
A 5k race on May 2, 2015.
They formed a team and started recruiting members. I avoided them in the halls, said no several times, blustered about being a hiker, not a runner but finally gave in. 
         It was not a hard decision really, my wife is a breast cancer survivor. 12 years now.
So, I find myself in the evenings, in the dark, frozen fields around my home,  alternately walking and jogging, following an iPhone app called C25k ,Couch to 5k. A program that helps you prepare for a 5k race in seven weeks. During tonight's 30 minute workout, I covered 2.1 miles. 
Last year the first 275 finishers made the 3.1 miles in 30 minutes or less. The next 175 made it in less than 45 minutes. So my goal is between 30 and 45 minutes.    

I've setup a personal page where you can read more about my race and the event:



Where are the Wildflowers in this post? Well, when I am jogging around that field, I find myself saying, 'there's the spot where Slender Ladies Tresses will be this fall', and 'there's the Nodding Ladies Tresses', and 'over there is Reclining St. Andrew's Cross.'
So, today is the day when meteorological winter is half over and I think I can make it to spring wildflower season now; if this running stuff doesn't kill me first..   


We Race Because…

One in eight women in the U.S. will be diagnosed with breast cancer in her lifetime.
Because every minute, somewhere in the world, someone dies from breast cancer.
And because, breast cancer knows no boundaries- be it age, gender, socio-economic status or geographic location.
We continue to Race because at the current rate, 13 million breast cancer deaths around the world will occur in the next 25 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. Choose anonymous if you do not have one of the ID's listed.
Thanks,
Charles