Sunday, May 4, 2014

Enjoying Spring

Spring is marching on, but there still is time to enjoy it.
I was in the area of Cranberry Glades this week and stopped by for a quick walk through. 
The Marsh Marigold was in peak bloom and the best that I saw in the Glades.
Marsh Marigold 













#314 - Blue Cohosh
Blood Root



Large Flowering Trillium

I did stop on the roadside in a couple of areas and found Blue Cohosh in WV for the first time, as well as Large Flowering Trillium and Bloodroot 


The next day, May 3, I spent the evening just a couple of miles from my home on a forest road. This is one of my favorite local spots. The Trillium were at peak. I found the Red nodding ones that are common, but also many of the same ones with white petals and red ovaries. I believe they are trillium erectum, or the common red Trillium, which often are found nodding like this. What was interesting was that 1 out of 5 were this off white color. 


Comparison between red and white variety 
Comparison between red and white variety. Both have the red ovary of trillium erectrum
  






No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. Choose anonymous if you do not have one of the ID's listed.
Thanks,
Charles