Friday, April 18, 2014

Wild, Wonderful, West Virginia

After spending several days of my Spring Break in the Smoky Mountains of Tennessee, I spent Friday in the mountains of my home state. I was 'fishing' in a trout stream within the New River  Gorge National River, which is also one of my favorite wildflower areas. I had not been there in early spring and I was very surprised at the variety and abundance of flowers. It rivals Brush Creek Preserve, my very favorite spot. I saw almost everything here that I saw in the Smokies, and more, all with a hours drive of home.

White Variety of Wild Blue Phlox

I was seeing the Blue Phlox everywhere, as I was walking in to begin fishing. But, immediately, I was distracted by the white variety of the Phlox. This was the only clump of white that I saw. Its no wonder that I hardly ever catch trout, I am too busy photographing the flowers.


#310- Dwarf Larkspur
 Then, I began seeing the Dwarf Larkspur. I had seen it in the past near Morgantown, but missed it last year during my Big Year. In Morgantown, there was a great variety of colors, but everyone I saw here was this amazing dark blue.
















The next flower that I found was another that I missed last year. Red Sessile Trillium. I was very surprised to see this one. The small plants escaped my attention as I walked in, but I stumbled on them as I came out. I saw them no where else in the area.
Here it is mixed with Wild Blue Phlox


#311 - Red Sessile Trillium
#312 - Wild Ginger
Wild Ginger
I just found Wild Ginger for the first time in the Smoky Mountains this week and then I find it in West Virginia  for the first time today. It is closely related to the Virginia Heartleaf that I see often.
  
Another new flower for me. #313 -  Large Flower Bellwort
 I found two color varieties of Wood Betony. The first yellow one was being worked by a busy Bumble Bee
The next one had more of a peach/red look to it.
Wood Betony

Wood Betony

Purple Trillium

Canada Violet
Cut-leaved Toothwort

Rue Anemone

Odd Colored Trout Lily

Trout Lily


Beetle Party on Squirrel Corn
These appear to be Red-Necked False Blister Beetles. They eat pollen and mate on flowers in the spring
Squirrel Corn 



Dutchman's Breeches

Bishops Cap





Red Bud 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. Choose anonymous if you do not have one of the ID's listed.
Thanks,
Charles