Saturday, March 15, 2014

Spring- Almost- I Thought

Grand kids are all practicing baseball or softball, so today while one practiced at the Grandview section of  the New River Gorge National River, two others and I went on a short hike in upper 50's tempertures. Even though it is several weeks before the first wildflowers, I found myself scanning. The overlook was great today and at home I saw the first crocuses. 
         

  I also heard the first 'Spring Peepers.' These may be Wood Frogs, having just emerged from logs and stumps after a minimum numbers of  warm enough days. They gather at ephemeral water holes to make war and love. Their story is fascinating as is much of the natural world. Find and read George Constantz's Hollows, Peepers and Highlanders for a look at West Virginia's natural wonders.
       Whoa, whats that, we're under a winter weather advisory? Five inches of snow and 25 degree temperatures for the next few nights? Well, Spring can't be stopped, it is almost here, and I need to reread that book anyways....


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. Choose anonymous if you do not have one of the ID's listed.
Thanks,
Charles