Sunday, March 30, 2014

A Sedge


Yesterday, I was traveling to be with students at a state competition and stopped near Charleston, WV at a roadside waterfall. I was really looking for a geocache because it still is a little early for any wildflowers (woke up to a couple of inches of new snow today). But, as usual I was scanning the area for any possibility. The elevation was only 850 feet as oppose to the 3000+ where I live and Daffodils were blooming in the area. On a wet cliff below the waterfall, I saw the following Sedge; I thought it it may be Long Stalked Sedge, but after  the owner of the blog , "The Natural Treasures of Ohio" chimed in, I believe he is correct in identifying it as Plantain-leaf sedge, Carex plantaginea an early blooming Sedge with the unusual lower fringes that I had not seen before. So, I continue to photograph and identify as many of West Virginians wildflowers as possible. Last year, I found 308; all in one calendar year, so this Sedge makes # 309 for this blog.




                                                      # 309-  Plantain-leaf sedge, Carex plantaginea



Another view that better shows those wide, deeply veined leaves.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Charles,

    What you have here is the plantain-leaved sedge (Carex plantaginea), one of our earliest-flowering species. It has an affinity for cool, moist, shaded sites so it's no surprise you found it where you did. The leafless flowering culms, purple/red-colored bracts and sheaths, and wide basal leaves are good characteristics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey A.L.,
      I always defer to someone who really knows what they are talking about. Your blog is terrific, I especially remember reading your 10-14-11 post about your Big Year. That book was what caused me to see how many wildflowers that I could photograph and identify in one year. It was great and I continue to add WV wildflowers. I had looked at the possibility of plantain-leaved sedge early after seeing this Sedge but did not think the leaves were wide enough, but after revisiting the pictures I took that day, I see those wide deeply veined leaves. Thank you for the pointers and your interest

      Delete
  2. Love the photos, quite a daunting endeavor. I am leaving on Sunday April 27th 2014 for Brush Creek for a wildflower guided tour. Hope the weather holds as I am driving four hours to get there, hate to be disappointed. Thanks for the postings, didn't know where the best places to go in West Virginia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Allan, thanks for commenting. Are you going on a guided walk or leading one? The reason I ask is I just got home after a hike into Brush Creek Preserve. The Large FloweringTrillium are just past peak and many are fading as are the Purple Trillium. There should be some left on Sunday, and we are expecting rain tomorrow (Friday) which may help. West Virginia is under a red flag warning for high fire hazard, it's been very dry. I also saw several violet varieties, Wild Ginger, chickweed, Columbine, Red bud, Hispid Buttercup and Dogwood just beginning to open. Further down the trail you should see Pusseytoes, Blue Phlox and others. Who is sponsoring the trip? What time.. Have a great day, Charles

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. Choose anonymous if you do not have one of the ID's listed.
Thanks,
Charles