Wednesday, September 11, 2013

September Wildflowers

I noticed a few weeks ago that I am in reach of 300 wildflowers photographed and identified from West Virginia in one year. My last post took the count to 278, so now, in the waning weeks of  the season, I am scouring the fields and forests around my home. I never really expected to hit 300, but now that I am close, I intend to make an effort to reach that goal.
       When I say scouring, I literally mean scouring. I am poking in the edge of fields, walking creek and river banks and sloshing through wet areas. While laying down to photograph a beautiful Slender Ladies Tresses (to be posted later with other varieties), I discovered a new flower for me; Reclining St Andrews Cross. While researching fall flowers I came on an account of Gold Crownbeard and Wingstems and remembered a flower I thought was a ragged looking sunflower relative. I went back and found it and was able to ID it as a Crownbeard  from its leaves which are opposite.
    I also am trying hard to identify  the various Goldenrods. I know I have seen at least four distinct varieties but they are difficult to pin down.

#279- Reclining St. Andrew's Cross

#280- Calico Aster


#281- Yellow Crownbeard
Yellow Crownbeard with sun shining through the 'wings' on the stem


 This plant is known as Lambsquarter and there is some confusion on its status as a native or introduced. What was interesting here was the ants that were tending to aphids on the stems. The ants gather honeydew produced by the ants and the aphids in return are protected by the ants. 

#282- Lambsquarter


Lambsquarter with Aphids and Ants 


Most of the following were from a slog through the swampy, murky and muddy sections around the farm here.

#283- Bushy Aster

#284- Swamp Agrimony

 Swamp Agrimony

#285- Nodding Bur Marigold




#286- Devils Beggar-tick
I remember the seeds that stick to your clothes rather than this nondescript flower on the purple stems




#287-Silky Bush Clover





#288- Hedge Bindweed (non-native)





#289- Blue Stemmed Goldenrod  

Blue Stemmed Goldenrod  is one of the only Goldenrods with scattered flower clusters on a wand like stem. 








#291-  Purplestem Aster

 All of the other blue flowered Asters around were much smaller than this one. The Purple on the stems, the seven foot tall plant, the very wet footprint  and the stiff hair on the stems makes this one Purplestem Aster. 



#292- Canada Goldenrod

While reading up on this one, I found a fact sheet from the country of Latvia. It seems that Canada Goldenrod is an invasive species introduced to Europe from North America before the year1645 as an ornamental. 


#293- Crooked-stem Aster

The spoon shaped leaves that narrow at stem, almost winged, and clasping,
the stem that turns purple with age and the stem that changes direction 
at every leaf node, identifies this as Crooked-stem Aster




1 comment:

  1. My Word, Charles! You really found some uncommon ones! Good luck on the 300 -- cold weather is just around the corner...

    Jim Fowler, Greenville, SC

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. Choose anonymous if you do not have one of the ID's listed.
Thanks,
Charles