Thursday, August 29, 2013

Lobelia and Other August Wildflowers

I went on a evening fishing trip to Glade Creek where it empties into the New River, and netted some really nice wildflowers.Others were found around my home or neighborhood; these should be it for August. 
I spotted a Ladies Tresses Orchid in the lawn of the school where I work, it is the only one around anywhere so it seems especially early. 
#253- Cardinal Lobelia
Both of these are favorites of mine and were found along the stream, this is probably why I don't catch a lot of fish. 

#254- Great Blue Lobelia
Indian Tobacco is another Lobelia, this one grows all around the farm here.
#255- Indian Tobacco

This is a brand new wildflower for me, Small Bonny Bellflower. I found it at the country graveyard where my grandparents are buried. 
#256- Small Bonny Bellflower

#257- Boneset


#258- Late Boneset

The next wildflower is often credited with killing Abraham Lincolns mother. Cows would eat the plant and a toxin would pass to humans through their milk. Half the deaths in a Indiana County at one time can be attributed to this plant. White Snakeroot is said to be less of a threat today due to the pooling of milk from many animals in the milk supply.

#259- White Snakeroot

Below is another new wild flower for me and was from Glade Creek. Hog Peanut is in the Pea family and along with Ground Nut, was a food source for Native Americans. 
#260- Hog Peanut

#261- Grass Leaved Goldenrod

#262- New England Aster

#263- Pokeweed

#264- Spearmint (non-native hybrid)


#265-  Lady Thumb (non-native)


Dolls Eyes, the Fruit of Baneberry
Cardinal Lobelia






Glade Creek Falls, notice the hand cut rock wall




#266- Dock (non-native)


#267- Japanese Knot Weed (non-native)


#268- Willowherb
Willowherb

So, Today is August 31 and I decided to take one more short trip to a nearby water reservoir and found several nice wildflowers.
        White Goldenrod is a first for me. 
#269- White Goldenrod

#270- Lyons Turtlehead
#271- Arrowhead


#272- American Water Horehound

#273- Blue Skullcap
While walking back the the truck, I spotted this lone cluster of blooms on a shrub. It was a native Spirea called White Meadowsweet.
#2274- White Meadowsweet 












1 comment:

  1. Lovely! Thanks for posting these. I was able to use these to help identify a few specimens we found on the Rockfish River in VA this weekend. - Claire

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. Choose anonymous if you do not have one of the ID's listed.
Thanks,
Charles