Friday, July 12, 2013

White Oak Sinks-Summer

I just got back from another family trip to the Smokies. Now days it is mostly waterparks and other attractions for the grand kids but they do enjoy short hikes around Roaring Fork and Cades Cove. I still reserve early mornings for hikes and had been looking at the White Oak Sinks for some time. It has a reputation of being one of the best Spring wild flower areas anywhere. I did a lot of research but could not find how it is in the summer time, so I decided to find out and report. There are many wildflowers and other interesting things to see, but it is hot, muggy and the stinging nettles are about waist high off the main trail. Mycophiles would enjoy the area very much and I include several unidentified mushrooms for them.
I set out at 5:30 AM and was on the trail by 6:30 AM. It was a little over four miles for the round trip hike and exploring in the sink. I was back in the hotel by 11 AM and riding waterslides with the grand kids. 

This water fall disappears into a cave


This Spiderwort was very different from those I find in West Virginia. It may be the Ohio Variety rather than the Virginia one. Or one called Mountain Spiderwort. Notice the small snail. There were snails everywhere on the vegetation.
The only orchid in bloom that I saw was Rattlesnake Orchid






Stinging Nettles - They sting through blue jeans





Yellow Jewelweed

Alum Root

Striped Wintergreen

Indian Pipe




Blue Bead Lilly Fruit


False Foxglove


Devils Bit











No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. Choose anonymous if you do not have one of the ID's listed.
Thanks,
Charles