Sunday, July 28, 2013

A River Runs By It

I traveled some this week and found myself along the Kanawha River one day at a little city park with the grandbabies. While looking at geese and skipping rocks, I noticed  purple spots among the river side vegetation. It turned out to be a nice flower called  American Water-Willow, a new one for me. And when I got home at the end of a long week, it was raining. I started out early Saturday in a thunder storm, hoping for a break in the weather. I was headed for the Little Bluestone River near my home to search for Virginia Spirea, a shrub that I had never seen. From all of the reading I did this week, I know it is known on this river. And I knew this part of the river receives regular scours, which the spirea needs. I did not find it this time but did see many flowers and then was disappointed at how many were not natives. 
         I had recently found Purple Loosestrife in a drainage ditch and had read how invasive it is, but had no clue how bad until I saw this section of river and the solid purple sections of river bank. There are many pictures below and some will still need to be identified.



#215- Button Bush


Button Bush




#216- Rose Pink
#217- Oxeye Sunflower

#218- Allegheny Monkey Flower
#219- white wood aster


Purple Loosestrife along Little Bluestone River

#220- American Water Willow from Kanawha River  (cell phone picture)


#221- Garden Loosestrife (non-native)



#222- Bouncing Bet  (non-native)


Bouncing Bet  (non-native) 


#223- Asiatic dayflower  (non-native)

#224- Bull Thistle (non-native)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. Choose anonymous if you do not have one of the ID's listed.
Thanks,
Charles