Friday, June 7, 2013

Daisy


I saved an article from the June 2011 National Geographic that discusses plant nomenclature. It seems that there are 1.05 million scientific names for plants on our planet and only 300,000 of those are confirmed to be unique species. And 500,000 others are redundant; for example, the English Oak has 314 scientific names. Their featured plant was the Common Daisy with 29 names. It seems that a group is working to make some sense of this, but that issue is part of why I don't get overly excited about using scientific names. Several Orchids have been awarded names changes just in the past few years. I do admire those who have a command of scientific names, as for myself, i can recognize or remember several, but mostly when it adds something to the story of the plant. One that comes to mind is Small Whorled Pogonia (Isotria medeoloides). Its Latin name medeoloides means "resembles medeola", Indian Cucumber Root (Medeola virginiana). To me that adds information which is interesting and therefore I tend to remember it. I read a lot about wildflowers and follow several great blogs, and do learn occasionally, but find myself having to Google constantly to see what the author is talking about. I especially like to info that use both common and Latin names. I am trying to link all wildflower names to the USDA website that shows Latin names, range and other good info. So the following wildflowers are from the farm that I live on. Many are non natives. I am astounded at the number of common wildflowers that are introduced, it is one of the many things that I am learning everyday as I find, identify and photograph as many wildflowers as I can in this calendar year. 

#119- Common Daisy
Common Daisy


#120- Multiflora Rose (non-native)



The following Clovers seem to all be non natives, despite that, Vermont claims Red Clover as its state flower .

'
#121- Red Clover (non-native)

#122- White Clover (non-native)
Pink form of White Clover or a hybrid of the two








#123- Yellow Iris

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. Choose anonymous if you do not have one of the ID's listed.
Thanks,
Charles