Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Light Colored Orchids

Off to Grandview for a hour or so to see what has bloomed in the past couple of weeks. My first find was a Pink Lady Slipper. It was very light colored and also was on a flat rock where there could not have been more than 4-6 inches of soil. 

#75- Pink Lady Slipper

I then revisited the area where I had found only one Showy Orchis two weeks ago and found many at peak bloom today. One cluster of three were almost white. 
Showy Orchis, light pink, almost white

Showy Orchis, normal color


The next find was Virginia Pennywort, a member of the Gentian family and is mycotrophic, a three way symbiotic relationship involving a mycorrhizal fungus and the roots of a woody plant. This is a complex and interesting relationship; I had assumed it was parasitic, but not quite, read more here.
#76- Virginia Pennywort

Virginia Pennywort
















#77- Striped Maple or Moosewood

#78- Woodland Stonecrop
#79- Fleabane














Colorful Fungi


Grandview is quickly becoming one of my favorite places to hike and search for wildflowers                                             

1 comment:

  1. What a great assortment of spring species! I especially like the pennywort. Sometimes, it is really hard to find, but it looks like you found some good ones. Myself, I'm still looking for that pure white Showy Orchis. I also found one this year that was "amost" white, but no cigar...

    Jim

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. Choose anonymous if you do not have one of the ID's listed.
Thanks,
Charles